Thursday 7 November 2013

The War Continues

   And not the Afghan conflict, the Syrian conflict or the Israeli-Palestinian problem either. This is a war for your fast food dollars, and has been raging for years, if not decades.
   The latest shot in the Burger War between Burger King and Mickey 'D's has been fired. You might even remember the jingle: "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun":
   Well, Burger King has just upped the ante with a whopper of an answer to the Big Mac. It's called the "Big King", and like it's competitor it does have 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions. And a sesame seed bun. BK says it will become a permanent part of their menu.
   Will I try it? Yes, I will. Out of curiosity, since I admit I am a fan of fast food. But that being said, I'm also a bigger fan of home made burgers. I'm also willing to share a recipe for "Craig's Cajun" burgers.
   I use extra lean beef, but the choice is yours entirely. I also use a commercial burger binder, "Superburger", available just about everywhere. Feel free to use an egg instead if you want. It works just as well.
   Anyway, I use the recommended amount of water with the binder, but I also thrown in a handful of Panko bread crumbs to firm them up a bit. To the mixture, add one stick of celery, roughly the same amount of green pepper and fresh onion, diced very small. I use dehydrated onion flakes rather than fresh onion. They work just as well. Add 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder, white pepper, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Then, add a dash (1/4 tsp) of your favourite hot sauce (mine's Louisiana Hot Sauce) and a dash (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) of Worcestershire sauce. Fry, grill or bar-b-que to your specifications.
   I top mine with lettuce, tomato, Dijon mustard and a little ketchup. No cheese. Or pickles.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment