Monday 7 October 2013

I Love Fall

   It really is my favourite time of year. The spicy smell of the leaves falling from the trees, the crunch when you step on them. It all heralds the change of seasons. It also means the busiest time of year for farmers. Especially this year with the late spring, and some rain which has delayed harvest.
   But harvest is progressing, at least what I've seen commuting between Yorkton and Regina on weekends. While there are still a lot of crops left to take off the field, what I see driving highway 10 every weekend indicates a lot has come off. Again, that's just my view from the highway. I'm sure there's still an awful lot left to combine.
   In fact, when we were at our last "Supper in the Field" event last week near Oakburn, Manitoba, the family indicated they'd need another month of good weather to get their crop off. Of course, the one thing not needed now is more frost. Last Thursday, we did get a heavy frost, bad enough to kill my wife's pumpkins. She did manage to save one, but the other 5 were turned to mush. And these weren't your everyday run of the mill pumpkins either. The skin on these turns a light blue when they ripen. She'd been looking forward to growing them all last winter, and struggled through months when several did sprout, only to fail. But, at least she got one before the frost came.
   Of course, the downside to fall is winter. I'm not exactly what you'd call an "outdoor" kind of guy, even though I enjoyed ice fishing many, many years ago. So when the frigid temperatures and snow do hit, I'll be doing my best to stay warm. I just wish I could hibernate.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment