Friday 11 October 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

   It is Thanksgiving this long weekend, a time when we try to get together as families, enjoy each others company. And the food. Let's not forget about the food! I still have Pavlovian memories of growing up in Calgary, with Mom getting the turkey ready. And, at least to me when I was young, the long, long wait until the bird was a golden brown outside, and cooked to perfection inside. I remember Dad sharpening the carving knife on the steel (a trick I learned from him), and slicing off portion after portion of the turkey.
   And the mashed potatoes. And the gravy. And the stuffing. And the veggies. Those were truly meals to remember.
   Which, sadly, is about all I can do anymore. Over the years, for some strange reason, I've become sensitive to some enzme in turkey meat, which plays havoc with my digestive system. So, I can't have turkey anymore. and with just myself and my wife left at home, although we do try and bring the kids in, it's a roast chicken instead.
   But it still smells wonderful!
   And let's not forget dessert, either. Pumpkin pie is the traditional favourite to end the heavy meal. But since this is how I believe pumpkin pies are made, I'll skip it:

   I hope you have a safe, happy and delicious Thanksgiving this Monday.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment