Tuesday 21 January 2014

Butt Out

   This is national non-smoking week in Canada, and each province is running an event to try and get people to kick the habit.
   In Saskatchewan, health officials are targeting school kids with the anti tobacco message by having grade 6 to 12 students view international non-smoking ads, voice their opinion and even vote on their favourite one. They have until the end of April to do it.
   In Manitoba, officials are looking for people willing to quit in March.
   The question is, do these campaigns actually work? Most health officials will tell you 'yes', they do work. And up to a point, they do. But if you're trying to get kids to either kick the habit or not start at all I sometimes wonder if the message gets through.
   As a former smoker, I can attest to the fact that smoking is very, very addictive and habit forming. I can also attest to the fact that quitting is very, very hard. Not the simple action of getting rid of cigarettes etc, but the actual effort needed to kep from lighting up again. It took me more than a few attempts to kick them for good, but I eventually did. In 1999. And I've been tobacco free since.
   Am I sorry I got started? Of course. When I think of the money that literally went up in smoke, let alone the health issues (I've got COPD), yes. It would have been much better had I never had those first few puffs on those Lucky Strike cigarettes a friend gave me to try more than 40 years ago. But it is what it is.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment