Thursday 10 March 2016

Another Throwback Thursday Memory (Updated With A Better Photo)


   That was 30 years ago in 1986 when I was working at a small radio station in High River, Alberta (just south of Calgary).
   1280 CHRB was a good place to work. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people, most of who were from Calgary, heartily sick of the politicking and B.S in the big market, and decided to open their own station.
   It was also the place where I re-launched my radio career, after having a few years off after a stint in Prince George B.C.
   It wasn't glamorous at first. I was basically an operator, switching pre-recorded programming back and forth. I also did get a chance "on-air" spinning country music when no tapes were logged for play. That also lead to more on-air daytime shifts doing fill-in for vacationing staff, and some daytime weekend work as well.
   But it also got me back into news. Every weeknight at 10:00 p.m, we used to run a national newscast from the service we subscribed to. Since I'd done news (radio and TV) in Prince George, I decided "what the hell", got some stuff together and read news at 10:00.
   A day or so later, I got a call from then News Director Will Shaw, saying he'd heard me on the evening in question. I was half expecting to get fired for not running the network newscast, but instead he asked if I'd like to do morning news there instead! Chances like that don't come often, and I jumped at it immediately, and haven't looked back since.
   A great place, and some great memories.
   Also, great to see my hair wasn't always monotone grey!
   And a big thanks to a former co-worker from my days in Prince Albert, Sask for cropping the photo.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment