Friday 27 November 2015

It's Grey Cup Weekend!

   For Canadian football fans, Sunday is it. It's the CFL's Superbowl for the league championship, and will be played in Winnipeg. It's also the 103rd Grey Cup, and features 2 teams that last met for the title in 1981.
   The Edmonton Eskimo's
   And Ottawa Redblacks

   The last time they met, Ottawa was known as the Rough Riders. The franchise folded, was brought back as the Ottawa Renegades, folded yet again and finally came back as the Redblacks. In that game, the Eskimo's prevailed, 26-23. The team has won 13 CFL championships, and 5 in a row from 1978-82.
   I'm from the west. I was born and raised in Alberta, and have spent 20 of my almost 35 years in broadcasting in Saskatchewan (which might explain why I'm a Roughriders fan), and normally, I would root for the western rep in the "big game".
   But not this year. This year I'm pulling for Ottawa. Why? Why "turn my back" on the region? Ottawa had the worst record in the CFL last season, but vaulted to the top of the eastern conference this year. I'd like to see them cap it off with this:

(Taken 4 years ago when I was in Regina)
   But whoever wins, I hope it's a good game. At least it won't be bitterly cold.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment