Friday 20 November 2015

I Must Be In The Minority

   The hype and hoopla has started over the next instalment of the Star Wars saga, which will hit the big screens later this year. And at the risk of being castigated and drawing irate fire over this, I will admit I am not a fan. Which puts me in the minority.
   It's true that when the very first of the original Star Wars trilogy came out, I went to see it in the theatre. When the 2nd movie came out, I again went to see it, but walked out about half-way through because I found it boring. The 3rd and all subsequent parts of the trilogy I never bothered to see, nor will I.
   Why? I guess I just found the movies a little over-done. More like a 1950's Western set in outer space. And then, there's the "realism" factor. It wasn't the space machines they were piloting I found hard to believe. And the "Death Star" was (and I'll be honest here) quite something. But it was the explosions, engine noise etc which you can't hear in space, along with a big part of the plot, that drove me out. I get the fact that space battles without explosions might be seen as boring by the vast majority of movie-goers. But not me. I guess I was "spoiled" by another classic sci-fi movie: 2001 A Space Odyssey, where there was no sound in the space shots. Which actually heightened some of the drama of that movie.
   But, again, I'm in the minority. The latest Star Wars flick will, no doubt, be a huge box-office blockbuster, and merchandise will fly off the shelves. It's started to already. And I'm sure lots and lots of fans will be standing in queues for the midnight premier of the film as well.
   I will say one thing about the producers of the movie, and give them a huge "thumbs up". They held a special screening of the movie for a fan with terminal cancer. That man died just days afterwards. That shows an awful lot of class in my books.
   If you are a fan, I hope this movie not only lives up to, but surpasses your expectations. But I just can't be bothered.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment