Wednesday 16 July 2014

Ahh, The Memories

   And they came flooding back during our Secret Garden Tour stop in Indian Head. Woolco department stores haven't been seen in Canada since Walmart bought out the Canadian assets in 1994. They didn't have a very long run either, having been formed in 1962.
   So, why the trip down memory lane? Simple. The very first job I ever had was in the mens wear department in one of the stores in Calgary. 42 years ago. Of course back then, mens wear was a sub-lease to Woolco by Jack Fraser, I think it was.
   And it was during my 2nd stint at a different store in Calgary I met the woman who became my wife. I was in sporting goods, she was in pets and plants. That is now some 32 years ago. I also remember having many, many meals at the Red Grille and/or Strawberry Street. They were the in store restaurants
   So, yeah. Seeing the old, weather beaten bench in Indian Head did bring back a flood of memories. Hell, I even remember $1.44 days (which I hated because of all the price changes). I believe it was the first Monday of the month, although I'm likely well wrong. And I also sort of remember part of the old jingle from TV ad's: Woolco. Double "U", Double "O" L C O.
   Funny how something as mundane as a bench can open the memory flood gates.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment