Thursday 12 June 2014

A Rhetorical Question

   Do train engineers really need to blow that horn so long? Yes, I know, they do have to warn vehicles at level crossings about their approach. I get that. I also get the fact they need to have a loud horn to make sure it's heard. What I don't get is why they feel the need, even at 2:30 a.m, to blow it up to 11 times nearing a crossing. I also don't get why they need to sound it for up to 10 seconds (yes, I have timed it).
   I thought they sounded it with 2 long blasts, one short and one long. Not 3 or 4 long, 1 or 2 not quite as long, and one very long.
   In Yorkton, it's hard not to hear them, especially when there's a set of tracks less than half a mile away. And yes, I realize the proximity to said tracks will enhance the listening pleasure.
   In several cities around North America, there are by-laws on the books regarding the use, volume and frequency of horns, whistles or other rail warning devices. Do they need them in Yorkton? No. But I submit that crews do need to regulate themselves a little, especially in the early morning hours. And, in case you were wondering, no. I have not (yet) been awakened by a train sounding their horn.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment