Tuesday 15 April 2014

A Tragic Incident In My Old Hometown

   5 people are dead after a stabbing rampage in the normally very quiet Brentwood neighborhood in northwest Calgary, Alberta. They were students at the University of Calgary, and were at a house party on Butler crescent. That's just in behind the elementary school I went to some 50 years ago. It's also just literally a few block from my old home on Bennett crescent.
   I knew that neighborhood from 1961 when we first moved there, right up until I got married and moved out in 1983. It is, or rather was, very quiet indeed. Growing up, it was rare to hear a siren of any kind rolling down Northmount drive, although they did use Brisbois and Charleswood to access Foothills hospital.
   While we don't know yet what happened, we do know a 20 year old man is in custody. One thing I do know. That neighborhood's peace has been shattered, and it's going to take time for the sense of security to return.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment