Wednesday 4 September 2019

Garlic Update

   As per yesterday's post (And Back At It), where I lamented the fact that the jar of pickled garlic I opened had all the cloves turn to mush, I check the rest. All 5 jars were the same, with every clove mushy. As for what went wrong, my best guess is I over processed them when canning.
   I'm going to try it again this weekend, but rather than boil them for 15 minutes, I'm simply going to pour the hot brine onto the cloves and screw the lids down tight. Everything I've read says it's okay to do that, since the garlic will last a few months, if not up to a year.
   I'm also going to use different garlic. The stuff I canned was locally grown Yorkton garlic and was, for garlic, quite pricey.
   Hopefully, these changes will make a big difference. I should have results in a couple of weeks.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment