Friday 20 January 2017

This Is What I Call A Beer

   A brewery in London, England is taking the idea of craft beer to the max. The Meantime Brewing Company in Greenwich is designing a product to suit a particular person's palate, by getting a sample of the person's DNA, and using that to craft a beer.
   Through a long, complex process, they can identify particular bitter and sweet flavours, and then produce a beer which has that characteristic so you would ultimately like that brew. Then it's back to the brewery and tried and tested variations of barley, hops, yeast and water.
   Launching next month, the beer won't be cheap. 12 hectolitres (roughly 2000 pints) will cost you 25 thousand pounds. That's $31 thousand American, or $40 thou Canadian. Meantime says it can also be delivered in kegs to your favourite pub - where you'll have even more friends than you realized.
   Many years ago, in a city far, far away, I used to make my own beer. Like many home-brewers, I started with simple kits you put in a fermenter, added some sugar, water and yeast and let it go. A week or so later, I'd rack it into a secondary carboy, let it settle for another week before bottling. I'd get 60 bottles (5 dozen) from each kit. And it wasn't bad beer, either.
   Eventually, I graduated to doing a partial mash with grains, adding my own hops, and going to kegs, rather than bottles. I had to give it up when we moved back to Saskatchewan in 1997, because I didn't have the room or facilities to brew in the place we rented.
   Would I go back to making my own? Probably not. Would I pay 40 thousand Canadian for a beer personally tailored to my tastes? Never. I'd just pick up a crate from my local liquor store. If I hadn't quit drinking more than 11 years ago.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment