Thursday 20 April 2017

Ouch!

   We got our taxes back from the company we have do them for us yesterday, and OUCH! Both of us owe the government this year. I usually get something back, even if it's just 40 bucks, but my wife usually has to pay. This year, the bite out of that apple is deep. I'm not saying how deep, but deep enough. Put it this way, if anyone is getting a big refund this year..You're Welcome.
   What's to blame? That's not an easy question to answer. We're both getting our pensions now (we can legally do that in Canada at age 60), which I'm sure has had an impact on both of us. My wife also has some off-shore investments in the form of royalties from an oil and gas well. No. She's not rich, and never will be from it. Last year, I think she got a grand total of about 5 hundred bucks. But it's still income, and she declares it every year.
   There are, of course, deferrals. I have a work-place pension plan, and get RRSP savings every year. Normally, they cancel out any taxes owed. But not this year.
   So, what's to do for next year? Both of us will be asking our payroll administrator to start taking more off our pittances in the hopes that will at least reduce what the government takes.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment