Monday 11 May 2015

I Won A Thing!

   I've blogged about the "Saucy Duck" barbecue sauce competition held by Ducks Unlimited in the past, so you'll know my sauce was chosen to represent GX94 against sister station Fox FM, CTV and Yorkton This Week.
   The big event was held Friday, and, by a narrow margin I won!
   It was a rather long evening, since there was the dinner (at which people tried all 4 sauces on either ribs or chicken), followed by a live auction, then the "big announcement". It meant that my wife and I didn't get home until 10:30. Not late perhaps by most people's standards, but remember: I get up about 3:45 A.M, and my wife about 4:30, so anything past 9:00 is "late".
   And a word about my sauce, the recipe for which follows. When I was buying the ingredients, I mistakenly grabbed cider vinegar, rather than red wine (which was called for in the recipe). I used it anyway, and got a nice "twang" from it.
   So, for anyone wishing to try out my sauce, here's the 4-1-1:


                       GX94's Twangy-Tangy Country Rib Sauce

2 cups ketchup,
2 cups tomato sauce,
1 1/4 cup brown sugar,
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar,
1/2 cup molasses,
4 teaspoons hickory flavoured liquid smoke,
2 teaspoons worchestershire sauce,
2 tablespoons butter,
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder,
1/2 teaspoon onion powder,
1/4 teaspoon chili powder,
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or celery seed),
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon ground black pepper,
3 bay leaves,
3 dashes Louisiana hot sauce.

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes to thicken. Brush sauce on ribs, chicken or any type of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Makes 48 servings (supposedly).

***NOTE: I cut the recipe in half for the in-house competition, using 2 bay leaves and 2 dashes of hot sauce.*****
   If you do try it, I hope you enjoy.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment