Wednesday 23 November 2016

Grey Cup Memories

   Rummaging through some old photos recently, and I found this, and thought since the Calgary Stampeders are back in the Grey Cup this weekend, why not. That was taken <gasp> 45 years ago in 1971, when the Stamps won it for just the 2nd time, beating Toronto 14-11. It was taken in the living room at a neighbour's house right across the street from where we lived in Calgary.
   If memory serves (and it usually doesn't) he was a high mucky-muck with the scouts, and finagled the cup for a troop meeting. My dad was a Stamps fan, so our neighbour he called us to say: "Get George over here, I've got the Grey Cup in my living room". Dad was working, but my sister and I went over.
   I was 15 at the time, my sister was younger. And didn't she look thrilled by it all?
   I bring this up because, as mentioned, the Stamps are playing in Sunday's Grey Cup in Toronto, when they take on the Ottawa Redblacks. Ottawa is back in the CFL final for a 2nd straight year, after losing to Edmonton in the 2015 Fall Classic.
   Since that picture was taken, the Stamps have won the cup, which is a lot bigger now (so am I),
   5 more times, most recently in 2014. Having grown up in Calgary, and despite the fact I'm decked out in Saskatchewan Roughrider green, I will be rooting for the Stamps come Sunday.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment