Friday 10 June 2016

"Mr. Hockey" Has Died

(photo courtesy AP)
   Normally, I don't post 2 items in the course of a week, let alone a day. But I felt I had to. Gordie Howe, aka Mr Hockey, aka Mr Elbow, has passed away. Born in Saskatchewan, he played hockey in 5 decades, most notably with the Detroit Red Wings, where he won 4 Stanley Cup rings.
   I remember very well Howe in his heyday. Dad watched hockey every Saturday night back when the NHL had just 6 teams. While the Wings weren't my favourite team back then, Howe was one of my favourite players.
   In addition, he was also named an all-star 21 times, and set scoring and points records which stood for decades.
   I know what Wayne Gretzky did in the years after Howe retired, re-writing a lot of the records Number 9 set. And with no disrespect to #99, "Gordie" will remain for me the best hockey player of all time.
   RIP Mr. Howe.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment