Tuesday 19 January 2016

R.I.P Glenn (And "Buffin")

   The losses continue to mount in the entertainment world, with the death yesterday of one of the founding members of the Eagles, Glenn Frey, at age 67. He suffered from multiple health problems, and passed away in New York.
   Formed in the early 1970's, the band was probably best known for "Hotel California", "Take It Easy", "Life In The Fastlane", and one of my all-time favourites, "Take It To The Limit". There's just something about their music that reverberates with this classic rocker right down to this day.
   I never got to see them live, but I did get a chance to hear one of their concerts. I can't remember what year it was, but it had to be the late 70's when the Eagles landed in my former hometown of Calgary, Alberta and played at McMahon Stadium. We lived less than 2 miles away from the venue, and I clearly remember being in the shower when the music started.
   My best friend (who passed away last April) called me up and asked if I was hearing the music. I said "yeah", and he invited me to his place where we sat on the roof of his house, drinking beer and listening to the concert.
   R.I.P Glenn Frey. Thanks for the memories. You will be missed.

TTFN

**PS: Also being called to the "Great Gig in the Sky" (to quote Pink Floyd) is former 70's Glam band Mott the Hoople drummer Dale Griffin. He was 67, and died Sunday from Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment