Thursday 11 February 2021

Staying Warm

    It's been brutally cold the past week or so, with windchills in the -50 Celsius range pretty much every day. And this morning, I did "dumb thing #2". Got in the car, scraped the windshield, got back in the car and started reversing out of my spot. And I forgot to unplug the block-heater and battery blanket. Luckily, the plug I lost was the battery blanket.

   All the cold has myself and my morning show host Danny in a culinary creative mood. We've been talking about food for some reason during our morning chats, and one thing that came up was soup as a warmer for the body and mind. I told him about one I do, chicken-chili, and he responded with a turkey-chili. Yesterday, he brought me in some, and it was delicious. This morning, I'm returning the favour with my soup.

   If you care to try it, here's the recipe:

1 can red kidney beans (drained)
1 can baked beans
1 can diced chili seasoned tomatoes
1 jar salsa
1 pack chili seasoning (pick your personal heat level. We prefer "mild")
1 box chicken stock
2 skinless-boneless chicken breasts
corn (optional)
Throw everything into a soup pot (crock pots work well too) and simmer for a couple hours. Remove chicken, shred and return to pot.
You could crush up some taco chips for a topping, or use sour cream.




   As with most soups, it's better on the 2nd day. And stay tuned! There could be more from Craig and Danny's Covid Kitchen in the future.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment